Teacher Installation & Quick Start Guide
The 'JoinInClass' classroom solution enables teachers and students to interact using their BYOD laptops or class PC. The teacher is able to monitor student activity, quickly test students, send web pages to all students and lock screens to get students attention. The 'JoinInClass' classroom solution requires the 'Join In Teacher' application to be installed on the teacher's classroom computer and the 'JoinInClass' application to be installed on each student BYOD laptop or the student computer in a Computer Lab environment.
Installing the 'Join In Teacher' application
Each teacher sharing a classroom computer will need to install the 'Join In Teacher' application by following the steps below. Make sure you are connected to the Internet as the application installs from a Microsoft Azure server.
- Select your school's 'Shortcuts folder' shortcut on the desktop and select the 'Join In Teacher' installation shortcut. OR Copy and paste the link supplied by your Administrator into Internet Explorer or Edge (not Chrome). Enter and select 'Run'.
- Select 'Install' at the Security Warning popup.
- If you receive a 'SmartScreen' popup then select 'More Info'
- Select 'Run anyway' at the next 'SmartScreen' popup.
- The 'Join In Teacher' application will now start and a 'Join In Teacher' icon will appear on your desktop.
Quick Start guide
The following screen will appear when you run 'Join In Teacher'. From this screen you will be able to monitor and interact with your students devices.
Connecting your students to the application
- An alpha numeric 'Code' will be shown on starting the application. Write this code on the classroom whiteboard for all students to see. The code will be unique for the classroom and will change periodically.
- Make sure that all students have installed the 'Join In Student' application on their BYOD laptop or classroom computer using the instructions provided to them.
- Ask the students to start their 'JoinInClass' application and enter their 'First Name', 'Last Name' and the 'Code' shown on the classroom whiteboard (see Student screen below). Then ask them to select the 'Join Class' button.
Using the 'Join In Teacher' application
The Student Icons
- The student icons show the screen activity of the students updated every few seconds.
- Right Click on an icon to access actions for that student, including zoom in, lock screen or send a Chrome webpage.
The Function Icons
- Switch between small and large student icons.
- Open a webpage in Chrome then click this icon to send that page to all your students.
- Lock all student screens to get their attention.
- Question & Answer.
- Quickly test your students grasp of the current lesson.
- Send your students either a quick Pop Quiz or a question requiring a text response.
- See the results on screen or send them to yourself, or others, by email.
- Exit 'JoinInClass'. The students will also disconnect.